Donnerstag, Januar 06, 2011

Hacking the HAMA WLAN IP-Kamera for my Synology box

A few days ago I came across some cheapish HAMA WLAN IP-Cameras (00053101). Mediamarkt Freiburg had them for just ~20€. (1000 articles for wholesale price campaign.) I should have bought them ALL. I bought two - one for my brother and myself. When I unpacked and connected it I already thought: "There must be some Linux running on it."

I did a nmap scan which revealed an Edimax MAC address. Ah yes. So I searched the Edimax site for a similiar one. I found the IC-1510Wg. Steps to flash and reuse it:

1. Flash the firmware (I used 1.34 as a start) from the Edimax site by using the web firmware updater.
2. The device will restart afterwards and use DHCP to connect to the network. Port 80 is no longer reachable - only port 2048 and port 2049. 2049 is a webserver but not accessible in Firefox because it is an "insecure port". You can probably work around it by either using another browser or turning off this warning message in the userpref.js in Firefox. I was too lazy. Therefore I continued with 3.
3. Downloaded the camera admin tool from the edimax site. I used the one for the IC-1500Wg.
4. Run the tool and let the it find the camera. Username is admin - no password. Reset the camera with the admin tool.
5. All standard ports should be available again - username and password should be: admin / 1234
6. Configure the camera to fit your needs. (IP, NTP, etc.)
7. In the surveillance station configure the camera as a normal Edimax IC-1510Wg. It should work out of the box.
8. Extra fun - flash the latest - 1.39 - firmware to the device. You probably have to reconfig the camera again.

The camera can deliver 640*480@30fps. Not that much but enough for my purpose. This is no live video. The synology recorded it yesterday.